To manage cost the first approach organization take is to power on/off the resources in non-business hours. It is not difficult to write a simple schedule to power on/off the resources at a specific time. There are many things that a simple script/scheduler cannot do. Business will need the following in addition to just Power on and off feature of the scripts.
- Grouping – Not all resource needs to be powered on and off at the same time. There should be grouping based on business needs
- Policy Based – Easy to suspend schedules when the team needs the resource. Resume the schedule once the job is over.
- On Demand operations- Initiate an on/off operations outside the schedule
- Reporting – Generate reports that give insight into the cost saving of the policy
- Dashboard – Provides overall cost savings with the policies
- Ease of use – Provides a simple UI that is usable by non-developers
- Consistency – Every business unit takes their own approach and difficult to create a uniform approach across the company
In this blog, I will go over how Nimesa helps in solving the above challenges.
To create a power management schedule, select “SLA Policy” -> “Power Management” option. Nimesa offers multiple options like creating a schedule just to “Power ON” or “Power OFF” or both “Power ON and OFF”. Admin can group the resources based on Tags or he can pick the instances individually.
Once the policy is saved he can see the approximate savings in $ based on the resources he has selected.
Managing the Schedules
Admin can pause the schedule when they don’t want the schedules to be applied.
They can also trigger on-demand operation to turn on or off the resources in the policy using “Run Now” option.
As you can see Nimesa is very simple to use and provides centralized policy based power management. You don’t need to maintain scripts to keep up with the changes in your environment and AWS public APIs.
Nimesa is an enterprise-class Application Aware data protection, cost management & copy data management Solution for applications running on AWS. It uses native AWS capabilities like EBS snapshots capabilities to automatically protect the environment. Nimesa provides simple policy based lifecycle management of snapshots and clones of EC2 instances